Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Interview with Author Monica Burns and Contest!!!

A big welcome to the fabulous Monica Burns!!! She is here today talking about Inferno's Kiss #3 in the Order of the Sicari Series.


Hello Monica. How are you today?

Not bad. Happy to be visiting here with you today Leagh.

Tell us a little about yourself

I get asked to do this a lot, and I never know what to tell people about myself. I’ve been writing since I was nine, and my first book was published in 2005. From ePub I  sold up to Penguin Berkley, and now I’m coming full circle with my Indie self-pub venture in reissuing some of my original ePub work. I work a day job so I write when I can, wee hours of the morning, lunch time, early morning, weekends, in the car on trips, whenever I get a chance. Okay, okay, that’s an exaggeration. I hard-working, even a workaholic, but I do know how to play hard. Give me a day at Busch Gardens or Disney World and I’m pumped up with energy!

Inferno's Kiss, #3 in your Sicari Series is available now. Would you mind telling us a little about it? 

Inferno’s Kiss is Cleo and Dante’s story, plus it also wraps up the story of Atia and Marcus, Cleo’s parents. It’s got the usual action-packed adventure that I’m known for along with the really steamy scenes. Kitchen counters are popular in this book. Cleo was a great character to work with. I really liked her a lot. I think she grew quite a bit in the book, and I loved the way she and Dante came together.

The laws of desire…
 Dante Condellaire, heir apparent to the Sicari Lords, knows that being a true leader means sacrifice. For Dante it was relinquishing all erotic pleasures. But he never expected his willpower to be tested so fiercely by Cleopatra Vorenus, expert assassin of the Order, and daughter of the man he is positioned to succeed. 
The rules of battle…
 Cleo prefers working alone—until she meets Dante who shares her goal: to destroy a Praetorian stronghold where Sicari women are imprisoned for devious purposes. Bringing the mission off without a hitch pumps up more than their resolve. It sets off a sexual spark too combustible to ignore. 
Are all made to be broken.
 As their attraction flares like an inferno, the stakes are raised. So are the risks. Before the mission is over, Dante and Cleo will be plunged into a dangerous conspiracy where a traitor threatens the very foundation of the Order, as well as the fiery bond between Dante and Cleo—warriors and lovers now torn between duty and desire.

Where did you get the idea for this series?

I was watching the HBO Series ROME and being lazy. I was eating a hot fudge sundae and needed to pause the show for a moment, but the remote was across the room on my desk. I thought, ‘wouldn’t it be great if I were telekinetic and could just make the remote jump into my hand?’  It was at that moment that the whole series hit me over the head.

Are there gonna be more books in this series? If so, how many?

Inferno’s Kiss wraps things up from the previous two books. At this time Berkley has not asked for any further stories in the Sicari world, but if I’ve time down the road, I’d like to revisit the world and put out a couple more books on my own. I keep getting asked about them enough. 

Do you need any special stuff to write? When do you write usually?

The only thing I really need special is comfort. I like a comfortable keyboard, and a monitor, and a good chair. I just got a new one. The DH literally gasped when I told him the price. He balked, but I persuaded him to get me an Herman-Miller Aeron chair like I have at work. $1000 is a lot of money, but they’re specially designed for comfort, and it’s a great chair. I do like my wireless head set for blocking out the family noise and ice water. PLENTY of ice water. I drink to avoid eating. I can easily go through 3-4 quarts of water a day.

Wow $1000 for a desk chair ~ but when you sit and write for a living, you need to be comfortable so I understand.

Ok so now that we got the seriousness done...lets have some fun!

Beer or Wine?

Depends on the brand being served. Stella on draft is wonderful on the tongue. For spaghetti, it’s GOT to be Lambrusco. I don’t drink very often as my meds are such drinking can be a bit risky, but then I’m a risk taker and believe that living life to the fullest is important. I’ve had a few regrets that make me think twice about NOT doing something, even if it’s stupid. J
  
Chocolate or Potato Chips?

If I had to choose because my life is on the line, probably chocolate, but as a rule I don’t eat either. Wait, milk chocolate maple creames they are to die for. They melt in your mouth with this sinfully, rich taste that gets sweeter when the maple touches your tongue. I can go through a pound in one sitting. Then my hips protest. LOL

Night out on the town or quiet night home?

Any more I prefer a quiet night at home watching a movie. I don’t like how rude people are anymore. Talking at the movies, talking to loud in a restaurant or shoving their way into line at this or that event.

Print book or e-book?

eBook hands down. I love reading on my iPad. I can boost up the font size, and then lay it in my lap to read. No more hands hurting from holding a paperback.

Favorite genre to read?

Action adventure with historical elements. I really love to read what I write.

Favorite music?

I am all over the map on this one. I have a few playlists that suit my mood and or the mood of the story I’m writing.

Well that's all for today! 
Thank you so much for joining me Monica, I appreciate your time today.

Buy INFERNO'S KISS at the following retailers:
The Book Depository (International readers/free shipping)


Bio
An award-winning author of erotic romance, Monica Burns penned her first short romance story at the age of nine when she selected the pseudonym she uses today. From the days when she hid her stories from her sisters to her first completed full-length manuscript, she always believed in her dream despite rejections and setbacks. A workaholic wife and mother, Monica believes it’s possible for the good guy to win if they work hard enough.



Connect with Monica:

For more about Monica Burns, you can visit her website


Monica has added a prize!!!! She is willing to give away a copy of INFERNO'S KISS to one lucky commenter. Leave a meaningful comment and fill out the form to be entered. 



Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out what Monica Burns has coming up!!!


Until Next time,
Leagh

15 comments:

  1. Great interview! I've had these books on my TBR for a while. The covers are to die for!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I have books one and two in my TBR too and have the newest book on my wishlist.
    And I agree, writers are at their desks for long periods of time and need to be comfy so that they can write more yummy books for me to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Interview, will be adding to my TBR =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having me today Leagh. You asked some great questions.

    Francesca and Maria. Hope the two of you enjoy the reads

    DiDi, hope you enjoy the books when you get a hold of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I've read all three of the books and already have my own copies of all three so there's no need to enter me in this contest. :)

    I recommend this series to anyone who hasn't read it, it's an awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview. I've read the first in the series and thought it was great! Number 2 is in the TBr Mountain. Congrats on your release, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the interview. It's so much fun to learn more about our favorite authors! THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview. I have not read any of this series so far but would love to. Are the stories stand alones, or do they need to be read in order?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Sicari Series sounds great... would love to read it and will definitely be adding it my wishlist! Great little story on how you got the idea for the series:)

    yadkny@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimber, it's always nice to hear someone liked an interview. I don't mind talking, but it's not easy to talk about myself, without wondering if I'm boring someone to death! LOL

    June, The stories are best if you read them in order, primarily because the world building mostly takes place in Book 1 - Assassins' Honor. Book 2 runs two stories through it, and one of those stories is carried into Book 3. While you won't be too lost if you start with 2 or 3, the series is probably most enjoyable if you start with 1. Long winded answer to a valid question. :-)

    Yadkny, hope you check out the books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT interview and giveaway! This sounds like an AWESOME series...one I'd really like to get into! FAB cover too! Monica, thanks for answering June's question as it was one I wanted to know as well! :D

    barbbattaglia@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arghs! Book#3? I've some catching up to do. Was hoping to be able to get this in ebook format but the online bookstores that I frequent don't seem to have it (fictionwise, smashwords). Kindle doesn't work for me due to geo restrictions. I hate Amazon kindle! Grrrr....!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. haven't heard of this series! Smexy ;) I would have gone for chocolate covered potato chips cause that sweet/salty combo is fabulous! I am also an ebook fan. They are wonderful at the gym. You can run on the elliptical and not have to worry about the pages closing on you. I do read a lot of paper books too. I am usually reading one book on the kindle, iPad, computer and a paper one. yeah, I multitask . thanks for the interview and I have added your name to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's fun to know how this story line popped into your head - I think the hot fudge had a lot to do with it - perhaps a sugar high?
    I think this series would fit right into my goal to read more paranormal in 2012.
    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barbara, glad I could answer a question without you having to ask. LOL Glad you enjoyed the interview

    Linda, You can get the book in eFormat at B&N for the Nook. You can download their app for iPhone, iPad, Android phone and read the book that way. And I don't really like Amazon either!

    Sharon, I've found that reading on my iPad is awesome. May hands don't hurt anymore while holding a book.

    Di, this wasn't just an ordinary hot fudge sundae. It was a hot fudge sundae from FRIENDLY'S Nobody else can top their sundaes, and I've had quite a few in my day! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Books I've Read and Enjoyed!

Renegade
Nauti Boy
Reno's Chance: A Navy Seals Story
Rescue Me
Honk If You Love Real Men: Four Tales of Erotic Romance
Long Hard Ride
Wild Card
Dangerous Games
Hidden Agendas
Killer Secrets
Maverick
Heat Seeker
Black Jack
Loving Lies
Cowgirl Up and Ride
Tied Up, Tied Down
Rough, Raw, and Ready
Rode Hard, Put Up Wet
Branded as Trouble
All Jacked Up


Leagh's favorite books »
}